PAVE Awards Student Aid
The Planning and Visual Education Partnership
(PAVE) awarded $22,000 in financial assistance to
nine students through its 2013 scholarship program
benefiting college students. The students represent seven different schools throughout the U.S. in
programs ranging from interior design to industrial
design to visual communications. Recipients were
from: California State University – Long Beach;
Colorado State University; Fashion Institute of Design
and Marketing; Fashion Institute of Technology; The
Ohio State University; University of Cincinnati; and
University of Wisconsin.
The 2013 aid was made available through the
generous contributions of companies in the retail
• The B+N Industries PAVE Scholarship
• The Crown Metal PAVE Scholarship
• The DAVACO Scholarship for Retail Education
• The Dillmeier Glass Co. PAVE Scholarship
• The Elevations Inc. PAVE Scholarship
• The EMI Industries PAVE Scholarship
• The TJ Hale PAVE Scholarship
• The High Country Millwork PAVE Scholarship
• The Impressions Marketing Group PAVE
• The Leggett & Platt PAVE Scholarship
• The Lifestyle/Trimco PAVE Scholarship
• The Mondo Mannequins PAVE Scholarship
• The OCTANORM® USA PAVE Scholarship
• The Reeve Store Equipment Co. Scholarship
to Support a PAVE Student
• The Showbest PAVE Scholarship
• The Stylmark PAVE Scholarship
Now in its fifth year, the program has awarded
over $75,000 to students in educational programs
preparing them for careers in the retail environments
industry including, but not limited to, careers in retail
design and planning and visual merchandising indus-
tries. The program was developed to help ensure
a future talent pool for the industry by eliminating
barriers to studying in these fields. Applications were
reviewed by a PAVE Board task force.
retail environments news
Goebel Fixture Co.
Modern Woodcrafts LLC
Wind Mill Slatwall
Hera Lighting LP
New A.R.E. directors elected
A.R.E. members elected four new members to the association’s board of directors
during the annual meeting held November 7 during the association’s 2013 Annual
Industry Summit in Key Largo, Fla. Elected to the A.R.E. Board of Directors were:
• Matt Field, president and CEO of Goebel Fixture Co., based in Hutchinson, Minn.
• Lisa Pelletier-Fekete, president of Modern Woodcrafts LLC, based in
• Mark Radtke, executive vice president of Wind Mill Slatwall Products,
based in Sheboygan Falls, Wis.
• Brad Stewart, director of sales for Hera Lighting LP, based in Norcross, Ga.
Also during the Summit, four members of the association’s board of directors
were recognized for completing their terms on A.R.E.’s board: Michael Childs, High
Country Millwork; Richard Ernest, Crown Metal Manufacturing Co.; Simon Ong,
Kingsmen Projects Pte. Ltd.; and Dan Schmidt, The Combination Door Co.
Board members serve a three-year term. A full listing of the board of directors is
available at www.retailenvironments.org.
Keep Up with Trends
• Retail & Design Center. If you haven’t visited
A.R.E.’s online Retail & Design Center recently, stop
by for a variety of recent additions. The website
includes projects, product highlights, trends influencing the retail environment, and information
on the people shaping retail today. There’s also a
collection of videos and photos of the best 2013
holiday windows. Visit www.retailenvironments.org.
• Trend Bulletin. A.R.E.’s weekly e-newsletter
for retailers, designers, and other industry professionals provides quick links to projects, articles,
research, videos, social media conversations, and
more that will keep you informed and inspired.
More information and a link to subscribe to the free
e-newsletter are available online at www.retail
environments.org (see “Publications.”)
• A.R.E. blogs. In case you missed them, here are a few of the most recent
blogs on A.R.E.’s website: “ 10 Themes from the Retail Design Collective 2013”
and “ 5 Retail Grounds That Will Floor You,” both by Jo Rossman, A.R.E.’s design
editor; and three by Todd Dittman, A.R.E.’s executive director, including “The Real
Driver Behind Consumer Spending at Retail,” “A.R.E. Insider: New Insight Tools for
Members in 2014,” and “The Future of Stores: 9 Ideas.”
See these and others at www.retailenvironments.org.