INDUSTRY SEGMENTS: Expectations Vary
While all segments of the retail environments industry
are optimistic about sales in 2013, expectations by
industry segment vary.
• Respondents from the point-of-purchase segment of the
industry were least optimistic about prospects for 2013.
• P-O-P providers also reported the weakest 2012 sales.
Visual presentation product providers
• Continuing a trend that I’ve been tracking since 2010,
visual product companies experienced the highest sales
increase in any category A.R.E. tracks—over 14 percent
• Visual producers expect sales to increase an additional
13. 5 percent in 2013.
Store fixture manufacturers
• Providers of store fixtures are nearly as optimistic about
2013 as the visual producers, expecting a 13 percent
• This follows a 10 percent sales increase in 2012.
Retail design firms
• Design firms fell close to the overall industry median
with predictions of a 10 percent increase for 2013.
• Designers reported an 11 percent gain in 2012.
A personal note
After 18 years as executive director of A.R.E., I’ve informed our
board of directors that I will retire in 2013. I’ve had nearly two
decades of wonderful years with A.R.E., and I’ve decided it’s time
for some new challenges. A search committee made up of A.R.E.
board members has been appointed, and A.R.E. has retained a
search firm that specializes in trade associations to assist in the
search for a new executive director for A.R.E. I’m not going
anywhere yet—I will serve on the search committee, and I’ve
committed to stay on long enough after my replacement starts
to ensure a smooth transition.
Klein Merriman is executive director of the
Association for Retail Environments. Contact
him at 954-241-4824 or kleinmerriman@